segunda-feira, 4 de janeiro de 2010

this is the latest of moonless night

I’ve been giving a great part of my mother’s jewelry to Alice, Rosalie and Esme. They are getting fed up with me always trying to erase the shreds of my childhood. Thus my decision to give a diamond bracelet to Bella, this way I won’t be running away from the memories and Bella will have a pretty thing to remember me. I should probably explain why my female family members seem to think I’m flinching from my childhood memories. Possibly due to the fact that I lost both my parents in a concentration camp like infirmary, or better phrased quarantine. I was seventeen when Carlisle found me and I was just inches away from death. My mom wasn’t as cursed as I was. She had a painful death but a true one. I have to linger here forever trapped. Had I not found Bella, I would have tried to cease my existence various times before.

Spanish influenza hit Chicago in a devastating and deadly wave of destruction. My father had died a few months before my mother. We had watched him wither away, consumed by the disease. The gauze masks didn’t hide our tears as well as it did our breaths. When our first symptoms hit, we were in September. The infested breeze lingered and hit my throat which was scratched from the rabid progress of the disease and turned it into icy embers that blazed into my lungs. Luckily my mother was better than myself her symptoms hadn’t progressed as swiftly as mine did.

I first started experiencing dizzy spells which turned into fever and the fever caused cold chills and sweats. It was uncomfortable to move but it didn’t quite hurt. Only my head panged and swelled with an ache that was too ruthless to be described. It made my eyes tired and my ears ring with a low rumble. Mother had promised the doctor would be able to slow the progress of the disease and I as I had done for seventeen years believed those words…”everything is going to be okay” however as we neared the quarantine infirmary hope was not the highest topic in my list, breathing was. Every shallow breath seemed to send jolts of icy electricity through my lungs. I didn’t complain, it would only make my mother more worried. I kept the pain for myself as she was doing.

As we reached the hallway of the infirmary a nurse approached us. She was wearing a white uniform and trying to block the sight of two men carrying boxes from a vehicle to the front entry. Too late my mother had reached for my hand and clutched it tightly as I understood the purpose of such apparatus. The number of victims kept rising as the epidemic grew stronger. Medicine can't quite fight against invisible and microscopic virus. They don’t have decent equipment or proper knowledge. A miracle is in order so we have a fighting chance of survival. I’m my case it came in an unsuspected form. It is said God writes in crocked lines; well my savior gave me life after all hope was stripped away from me. My entire family was gone and I was given eternal life.

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário